Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Are you grasping for joy?

So we're still on the Staff Getaway and one major part of this time is spiritual renewal.  For the past few weeks I have been reading a book by John Eldridge called, "Walking With God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really."  I saw the book in BN and just because of that tag I got it and immediately started reading the book that night.  It's an interesting book...unlike anything I have ever read.  Basically, Eldridge has opened up his journal for 1 year and let's you look in on his walk with God.  It is simple...powerful...profound.  ok...that's the setup.

So yesterday I read something very interesting in the book...grasping for joy...I'll quote him because my paraphrase would never do it justice and there is beauty in his writing.

Sometime earlier this year, I noticed that I was drinking to often, or more precisely, drinking for the wrong reasons.  I'd come home exhausted and frazzled from the day, and I'd turn to a glass of wine or a beer as a sort of refuge and relief, a way to find some peace.  Some people use food.  Or television. For me it was alcohol.  And that's not good. I began to see it as a reaching for joy--joy in a bottle, joy within my grasp. Yikes. This does not have a good future written on it.

And so God gave me a kind of grace to give it up.  To make room in my life for Him. It was really that simple. I noticed that when I came home frayed and weary, what I wouldn't do was simply take a few moments to be with God and ask him to comfort me. to be my refuge and peace. I decided to try that instead.

And so something I've enjoyed over the years is gone now.  And I have no idea if or when it will return. What I notice is a kind of spaciousness now in my soul in the evening.  Room for God.
Walking with God, Eldridge, p88

So...how do you grasp for joy?  This has hit me heard.  How am I grasping for joy?

God, give us grace to be honest and make room for you.

2 comments:

KrayonKel said...

Are you really reading "Discover Your Strengths"? I noticed it on your side column. I LOVE that book!

Brian said...

I read it a while back. It was good. We read it together as a staff. I should probably take it off. : )