Monday, February 20, 2006

Wink

So I know it has been a while since I have blogged and I am sorry. I gotta be honest...I just wasn't feeling it. But tonight I got really really excited about something and I felt it...I have this deep desire and want to share it.

So all day today I have been soaking on a worship order I have been preparing for this weekend at Keystone Church. We are starting a new series to TACKLE temptation. Big deal. Huge felt need for anyone who has blood running through their veins. So...I asked myself, "Brian, what songs do you sing when you are talking about temptation?" With the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I realized we would sing about God's freeing work purchased through Christ's sacrifice on the cross. (Songs like: Look to You, Marvelous Light, Nothing but the Blood, Pure, Rescue). I was pumped about the order. But something was missing. I wanted something raw and honest...something that would show someone's deep struggle with desire.

Fast Forward (or forward-wind if you are Chuck) to around 9:15pmish. I am watching this wicked cool show I can't get enough of...I know you all think I am talking about 24 and you are right I love that show but I am actually talking about the show House. I really dig that show. In the show, this tune starts to play...the simple acoustic guitar moves me instantly...the lyrics are raw and honest and then...OH THEN...the harmonica solo. It was so powerful. It's as if the harmonica represents someone pouring out their soul. Oh yeah, the song was called...Desire by Ryan Adams. It is perfect for this weekend.

You see, I have this passion for creativity in worship. I have this driving desire to pursue excellence because I want to give God our best. Now, we could do this cool song because it is simply "cool." But it is so so much more...it is an illustration. An example. An illustration that will stick with people. The lyrics will emphasize our deep struggle with desire...the essence of temptation. I believe God will bless it.

So you say, "Why are you so pumped?" "Why did this move you to share this?" Because I felt God smiling on me. It was as if He winked at me. Remember...I felt there was something missing in the service...and you may not agree but I feel as if God used House tonight to wink at me and smile. It was like I had an inside joke or story with God. I like to think God was a little giddy while I was watching House...just waiting for that music to start. Like a parent waiting for their child to open a present on Christmas morning.

What's the point of this...be aware of God winking at you and smiling. My friend says that often. Psalm 139 says "How vast are your thoughts about me Oh God. Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand." God thinks about you more than you think about yourself.

Come check out Keystone this week and see how God uses "Desire."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love house too Brian! Can't wait till worship sunday.